The Stoma Care Nursing Service at Darent Valley Hospital aim to meet the practical and psychological needs of all our stoma patients.
We aim to support in the following ways:
- Giving you information before your surgery and prompting a speedy recovery
- Teaching you the practical care of your stoma
- Provision of stoma care products and prescription arrangements
- Supporting you and your family in adjusting to life with a stoma
- Community support within the first 2 weeks of discharge
- Telephone hotline and clinics for ongoing support
Stoma care clinics
Following new stoma formation we will arrange to see you in our stoma care clinic within the first 6 weeks of discharge. The purpose of this appointment is to support your recovery, to address any queries or concerns and to check the stoma. After your initial appointment we will arrange to see you at regular intervals: 3 months, 6 months and 1 year.
- We offer an annual review to any patient with a new or an established stoma.
- Further clinic appointments can be arranged at any time if problems or needs arise.
- We also offer telephone clinics for 6 month and 1 year reviews. This will consist of a 30 minute phone conversation with one of the Stoma Care Team.