Darent Valley Hospital
Our dedicated Empress Breast Unit at Darent Valley provides a one-stop outpatient service for patients to access diagnostics, tests and treatment in one place, on the same day, to provide a centralised point of care.
The Unit has a specialist team of consultant surgeons, specialist nurses, radiologists, oncologists and breast clinical nurse specialists to provide:
- Consultation and clinical examinations for suspected and symptomatic breast cancer
- Diagnostic investigations as part of the NHS Breast Screening programme:
- Mammography scan of the breast and/or
- Ultrasound scan of the breast
- Interventional procedures such as:
- Biopsy - the removal of a small sample of breast tissue under local anaesthetic for further examination by our pathology team
- Clinical Nurse Specialist-led Clinics for benign breast diseases and for patients with a family history of breast disease/cancer
- A quiet room for counselling
Our Unit aims to provide our patients the best cancer care using evidence-based practice; using the latest surgical techniques to detect breast cancer early to significantly improve outcomes.