Please note: Due to COVID-19 the audiology department is strictly open for appointments only. You must not come in to the department to book an appointment or collect batteries.
Limited Audiology Services
UPDATE from Medway NHS Foundation Trust: 20 April 2023
We are unable to offer audiology appointments at Darent Valley Hospital, however, we are still able to offer limited appointments at our other sites.
If you are having difficulties with your hearing aid(s) please see our 'useful resources' section below.
If you require further assistance, please contact the audiology department 01634 825041 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPDATE: 30 April 2020 - Alternative service available at some of our local supermarkets
The Audiology Department at Medway Maritime Hospital is delighted to offer an alternative service with the generous assistance some of our local supermarkets.
Medway NHS Foundation Trust adult hearing aid users can drop off their hearing aids that are not working or faulty at the following supermarkets:
- Asda Strood - Customer Services
- Sainsbury’s Hempstead Valley - Customer Services
- Tesco Rainham - Customer Services
- Asda Gravesend - Opticians
You can also drop them off at the Sittingbourne Memorial Hospital.
Please place your aid in an envelope for the attention of Medway Audiology. Inside please provide your full contact details; name, address, phone number and email address along with a description of the fault.
Audiology staff will collect from these sites at least twice weekly. You will be contacted when these are ready for collection.
Patients requiring batteries should send a stamped addressed envelope directly to the audiology department.
We would like to thank our local supermarkets for their support.
About our Audiology Service
Adult Audiology department performs diagnostic assessments and rehabilitation for patients with hearing difficulties, tinnitus and balance problems.
Although they are based at Medway Maritime Hospital they cover a wide area and also have clinics at the following hospitals:
- Darent Valley Hospital
- Gravesend Community Hospital
- Sheppey Community Hospital (ENT Clinic cover only)
- Sittingbourne Memorial Hospital
Audiology referrals for all clinics need to be sent to Medway Maritime Hospital via email or post.
As well as performing hearing aid assessments and reassessments at GP request, the following diagnostic tests are available following referrals from ENT:
- Pure Tone Audiometry
- Uncomfortable Loudness Level Testing
- Otoacoustic emissions
- Acoustic Reflex testing
- Speech Audiometry
- Auditory Processing assessments
- Tinnitus Assessments
- Videonystagmography (ENG)
- Caloric Testing
- Auditory Brainstem Response testing
- Visual Reinforcement Audiometry
- Play Audiometry
- Bone anchored hearing aid assessments
Some of the above tests can only be performed at Medway Maritime Hospital.
Rehabilitation that we offer:
- Conventional behind the ear hearing aids
- Open Fit behind the ear hearing aids
- Contralateral Routing of Signal (CROS / BiCROS) hearing aids
- Bone Anchored Hearing Aids
- Noise Generators
- Hearing Therapy (For Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, auditory processing disorders and complex hearing losses)
Audiology clinics run from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday. Please note: Due to COVID-19 some appointments are temporarily on hold.
The audiology team consists of:
- Head of Audiology
- Clinical Chief Audiologist
- Hearing Therapist
- Senior Audiologists
- Associate Audiology Practitioners
- Senior Assistant Audiologists
- Assistant Audiologist
- Audiology Co-ordinator