If you need medical help and it is not a life-threatening emergency, call 111 as they can book you a time slot at the Emergency Department if you need one. 

Your advisor can also direct you to a more appropriate NHS service depending on your needs, such as: 

  • Your GP practice
  • A local pharmacy
  • Gravesham Urgent Treatment Centre 
  • Queen Mary's Hospital Urgent Care Centre

Calling 111 first will help us to maintain social distancing and ensure that you receive the right care in the right place, in a more timely way. 

If you or someone you know is experiencing a medical emergency, you can still attend the Emergency Department or call 999. 

If you have a minor injury

If you have a minor injury or illness, you can also use one of the facilities listed below:

  • Gravesham Community Hospital, Gravesend
    Open from 8am to 8pm weekdays, 365 days a year 
  • Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup
    Open seven days a week, 365 days a year 

These urgent treatment centres and minor injuries units can help with a number of conditions including:

  • Cuts and grazes, infected wounds
  • Broken bones or fractures, sprains and strains
  • Bites and stings
  • Minor head injuries
  • Minor eye problems

If you have a minor illness

Phone your GP practice. You can also go to a local high street or supermarket pharmacy and seek advice there. Or if you are not sure, contact NHS 111

Keep the Emergency Department free for emergencies

Our Emergency Department remains open but it is for serious and life threatening conditions. If you or someone you know is experiencing a medical emergency you/they can still attend our ED or alternatively please dial 999.

Medical emergencies can include:

Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma, such as after a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.


If you have symptoms of COVID-19 (a high temperature; a new, continuous cough; or loss or change to your sense of smell or taste), please do not attend the Emergency Department or any of these other services. Check what to do here.