With an NHS OpenAthens password you can get 24-hour access to a range of clinical and healthcare databases and e-journals. These can be accessed from any PC connected to the internet.
To register for an OpenAthens password you can contact the library or you can self-register at: https://openathens.nice.org.uk/
Which databases can I search?
- AMED – 1985 to present - Allied and complementary medicine
- BNI – British Nursing Index – covers over 250 of the most popular sources in nursing and midwifery.
- CINAHL – 1981 to present – covers nursing and allied health disciplines.
- EMBASE – 1980 to present – major biomedical and pharmaceutical database
- EMCARE - Covers Nursing and Allied health
- HMIC – The Health Management Information Consortium database compiled from the DH Library and Information Services and King’s Fund Information & Library Service.
- PSYCINFO – 1806 to present – covers psychology, psychiatry and related fields
- MEDLINE – 1950 to present – the US National Library of Medicine’s database that covers medicine, nursing and health care.
How to access the databases
If you already have an OpenAthens password go to NICE Evidence Search Healthcare Databases - you will then be prompted to login using OpenAthens. From here you can access all the resources available to you.
When searching on any of the databases if the full text is available electronically there will be a link to the full text from the reference in the database.
To find out if a particular journal is available electronically you can search the A to Z journals list at: https://journals.nice.org.uk/.
Login with your NHS OpenAthens account to see all the journals available to you.
Collections of full text journals available via OpenAthens
- BMJ Journals Collection – 22 BMJ Publishing titles (including the BMJ)
- JAMA & Archives Journals – Selected titles from the AMA Journal collection (backfiles not current)
- Health Research Premium – an extensive range of health and social care publications and evidence-based resources.
- Proquest Hospital Collection - A collection of databases covering allied health, nursing, medicine, health management and psychology.
- PsycARTICLES - Full text articles from leading psychology journals.
- Psychology & Behavioural Sciences Collection - full text journals in psychology and counselling.
There are also a number of useful free resources which can be accessed without the need of an account - free online resources