Professional Midwifery Advocates (PMAs) protect the public through the support of safe midwifery practice. We aim to ensure that women and families receive guidance and information about the right type of care, in the right place ('no decision about you without you').
We are experienced, practicing midwives who have undertaken additional training and are accountable to the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
Professional Midwifery Advocates monitor the practice of midwives to ensure that women and babies receive good quality, safe care. Midwives should support women throughout their maternity care: if you have any concerns about your care, you and/or your midwife may contact a Professional Midwifery Advocate.
Professional Midwifery Advocates are there as support for women and their families as well as to give sound professional advice. Women are entitled to talk to a Professional Midwifery Advocate in confidence with any issues relating to practitioner care provision. When midwives and or women are faced with a situation where they feel they need further support and advice, the Professional Midwifery Advocate can act as a resource and assist in discussions with women.
Our team in Dartford and Gravesham area includes Midwives working in a wide range of practice areas, including community, Birthing unit, Delivery suite, risk management, practice development and public health, providing a range of skill and expertise.
How Professional Midwifery Advocates can help you:
- We can support you and your midwife to plan your pregnancy care and plan for the birth of your baby.
- We can discuss with you the most appropriate choices for you and your baby.
- We can help to resolve any disagreements about your maternity care in an unbiased and impartial manner.
- We can talk to you if you are unhappy about your birth outcome or treatment.
- We can listen to any concerns you may have about your maternity care and take action if it is felt to be appropriate.