We are sorry that we have had to suspend our Hypnobirthing classes. To support you during this time we have attached some resources that will help you to gain a knowledge and understanding of the role Hypnobirthing can play in your birth.
Hypnobirthing course material
In addition you may find the following links useful:
A preparation for birth course in which you will learn about the wonderful process of labour and how you can positively influence it by acquiring positive perceptions and learning to relax and to create a positive environment for birth.
- We recommend you choose a start date around week 30 to 32 of pregnancy.
- 10 hour course.
- Runs for 4 consecutive Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays 7.00pm and 9.30pm
- We also offer some weekend courses Sat and Sun 10.00am to 4.00pm (both days inclusive)
- Cost £50 per person/couple
You must be booked to have your baby at Darent Valley Hospital in order to attend.
To avoid disappointment please book early.
Hypnobirthing is a complete antenatal programme focusing on a combination of childbirth education, self-hypnosis and deep relaxation techniques to help achieve a more comfortable birth. Hypnobirthing provides parents the tools they need to minimise the fear-tension-pain cycle, aiming for a more comfortable birth experience. Many women, midwives and doctors have seen that the use of Hypnobirthing techniques in the birthing process has a positive effect.
It is a method of self-help techniques that can continue to be employed when extra help is needed, enabling women to remain calm and in control and able to make informed choices in any type of birth. Women say that it helps them to cope better with labour and in particular to feel more in control of what is happening to them, which is known to be important (DOH 1993).
The deep relaxation and visualisation techniques taught in Hypnobirthing increase the production of endorphins and oxytocin, both of which are known to have beneficial effects in labour and birth. The aim of Hypnobirthing is for parents to achieve a calm, gentle birth. At Darent Valley Hospital we have developed a comprehensive Hypnobirthing course based on the Hypnobirth Midwives UK method.
Our course is unique in offering information on:
- Understanding the process of labour and working with the body.
- How to break the fear/tension/pain cycle.
- Top tips for birth partners; the named birth partner will be trained to support the techniques.
- How to achieve an active birth.
- Practice positions and massage for labour.
- Breathing and visualisation techniques for labour.
- How the environment influences labour.
- Hormones and their effect on birth.
Planned learning outcomes
- Techniques of deep relaxation to help you eliminate the Fear-Tension-Pain cycle.
- To explode the myth that pain is a necessary accompaniment to labour.
- How your body is naturally designed to conceive, nurture and birth your baby with ease and comfort.
- To use your natural birthing instincts to birth your baby in a way that most mirrors the way that nature intended.
- How you and your birthing companion can create a birthing environment that is calm and joyful.
The course is facilitated by midwives and support staff, who are also trained Hypnobirthing practitioners. Therefore we feel you will receive a high standard service delivered by professionals skilled in both areas.
During your course you will be asked to practice and train in the techniques at home to gain the maximum benefit during labour. You can attend with your birth partner.
The Hypnobirthing course is £50, to cover the materials and resources. This includes:
- 10 hours of hypnobirthing teaching time
- The Hypnobirthing workbook
- Light Refreshments
Please can you spare a few minutes to share your feedback on our hypnobirthing courses. You can do this by clicking on this link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SKHR52D.